The Calcutta School of Music is one of the premier institutions in India. It was established in the year 1915 AD by Dr. Phillipé Sandré, a musician of considerable calibre, a contemporary and friend of the famous composer Saint Saëns. It is probably the only school in the country which has a wide ranging canvas of musical disciplines covering all Western music disciplines, dance, speech training, elocution, and drama. It also has a more nascent Indian Music Section which was inaugurated by Pandit Ravi Shankar in 1975. The School is an important part of the city of Kolkata, providing liberal instruction in musical subjects on one hand, and also arranging orchestral, chamber and solo music training and concerts, as well as music appreciation sessions throughout the year.
The Calcutta School of Music promoted the Calcutta Symphony Orchestra in the days of yore, which performed under several well known conductors, the last of which was Bernard Jacobs. The Calcutta School of Music took under its aegis the Calcutta Chamber Orchestra from the Calcutta Foundation in April 2005 and have fashioned it into a competent chamber orchestra presenting works with international artists of repute.
The School was originally located at Wellesley Street in Central Calcutta. In the year 1972, the School moved into its own premises in the leafy suburb at 6BSunny Park. Its 100th anniversary is being celebrated in 2015. The school functions as a Registered Society under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, as a non-profit organization, and is managed by the Administrator under the guidance of the Governing Committee.
His Excellency the Governor of West Bengal is a Patron of the School.
The New Year brings in exciting new concerts--the Aarhus Jazz Orchestra from...